Thursday, April 23, 2009

Silk Worms are Fascinating

Showing the different stages of the silk worm - from baby to adult to cocoon. It's interesting to watch them eat the leaves - they are voracious eaters!

After I asked to pick one up and was admiring it, our hosts and guides talked excitedly to each other. Finally, one of the translators asked me, "Do you have mulberry bushes in America?" I told her yes. She asked if we had other types of bushes, too. I told her yes. She asked, "What is the temperature in your state?" I told her that it varied - from very cold to very hot. This prompted more conversation in Chinese. Finally, she told me she that even though we have mulberry bushes, she thought the weather in Nebraska didn't sound right and that further she didn't think the airport authorities would let me bring silkworms back to America! We realized that she misunderstood my request to hold a silkworm - they thought I was asking to bring a silkworm home with me.

No comments: